Student VISA Credit Cards
Establish good credit from the beginning
About Our Student VISA Program
The goal of our student VISA program is not to promote spending but rather to provide knowledge and an opportunity for our young members to learn about money management and maintaining good credit. Our program is designed for members 16 and 17 years of age, and begins with an educational seminar at our Holly Education Center located on E Holly St in Bellingham. Students are required to attend the seminar and we strongly encourage legal guardians or parent(s) to attend.
The Student Visa seminar covers many topics from the definition of credit, to credit scores, how loans work, money management skills, the benefit of a VISA card, and what to do if your card is lost or stolen. Upon successful completion of the Student VISA Seminar and either a completed application with proof of income or parent/legal guardian as co-borrower, student members will be issued a $250 Student Visa.
This card is good until age 21. However, if the loan is in good standing at the age of 18, students can apply for a $500 Classic Visa by filling out a new application with proof of income or parent/legal guardian as co-borrower.
Highlights of a WECU® VISA Classic card.
- 1% cashback reward on purchases
- No annual fee
- Low annual percentage rate: 12.9% APR
- No-Fee Balance Transfers
- Low monthly payments
- Travel accident insurance ($250,000) when you purchase travel tickets with your VISA
- Secure online shopping with Verified by Visa
- Optional Payment Protection available
- Easy access to your loan accounts with E-Max online banking and Tele-Max audio response
- Local service you can trust
- Personalize your Visa credit card with WECU® Image Card. Click here for details.
With Payment Protection, you'll find comfort in knowing that an emotional tragedy doesn't have to become a financial one. Disability protection makes your monthly loan payment should you become disabled due to a covered illness or injury. Life protection reduces or pays off your eligible loan balance should you die before paying off your loan.
- Automatic eligibility for most borrowers.
- No medical screening.
- Premium can be included in your loan payment.
- Low group rates that are the same for every borrower.
- Protection of your loan collateral and credit rating.
More information about Payment Protection (Price varies depending on selected protection and loan type.)
How to Apply
We generally offer our Student VISA Seminar every other month throughout the year. We post our classes on our website about a month in advance. If you would like to be notified when our next Student VISA class is available, let us know and we'll add you to our contact list.