Now YOU can join WECU!
Feel like something is missing?
We all know the importance of finding a great institution when it comes to our financial needs, but it can be difficult to discover a perfect fit in a world with so many choices.
As a not-for-profit financial cooperative, WECU® encourages responsible money management so that the community may invest and borrow at competitive rates. We exist to help you reach your financial goals.
At WECU®, you're not just a customer with an account number. You are a member of the credit union from the day you join forward. At WECU® you'll receive legendary, local service. Profits are returned to you through lower loan interest rates and higher savings dividends. We truly have your best interest in mind, not just the bottom line.
Who can join?
Originally chartered in 1936 to serve educational and medical employees, WECU® membership is now open to anyone who lives, works, worships or attends school in Washington, and relatives of all members.
The cost of joining WECU® is just $5.00! All members have an equal vote and an equal voice at WECU®, regardless of the amount they have deposited or loaned from WECU®. If you ever have to leave WECU®, we will return your initial account deposit to you. Your $5.00 deposit will be held in a primary savings account for the duration of your membership.
If you do not live in Whatcom County and are unable to come into a branch, please fill out an online application. When this is submitted, we will contact you via phone to verify your information then mail you everything you need to finish opening an account at WECU®, including a postage-paid envelope. To complete your membership application the following must then be returned to us:
- Completed membership card, signed where indicated
- A photocopy of a government issued photo identification
- Address verification (utility bill, paystub, signed lease or rental agreement, etc.) if the address on your ID is different than where you currently reside.
- A check or cash in the amount of at least $5.00 payable to Whatcom Educational Credit Union. This $5.00 will remain on deposit in your primary savings as long as you have an account with the credit union.
Apply in person
Member service representatives at any of our branches will make opening an account an easy, pleasant experience.
To open an account at any branch, you must bring:
- A government issued photo identification
- Social Security Number -when applicable
- Address verification if different than ID
- Cash or check for at least $5.00 payable to Whatcom Educational Credit Union. This $5.00 will remain on deposit in your primary savings as long as you have an account at the credit union.
- As a parent or guardian opening an account in a child's name you will need to present government issued photo identification and the child's Social Security Number.