Our regular checking account and debit card have no fees for typical use. So long as you maintain a positive balance and use WECU-owned ATMs, there are no fees or usage charges associated with using your checking account. In the event that you make a mistake and overdraw your account, our $16.00 service charge is one of the lowest around! At WECU® we're known for our legendary member service, and our checking services are no exception.
We have multiple types of checking accounts available to meet your specific needs. Take a look below to see what might work best for you. If you're not sure where to begin, let us know and we'd be happy to help.
Checking services offered at WECU
- Regular Checking : Our original checking account has no monthly service fees or per check charges as long as you use the account each month. You only pay for the printing of the checks.
- Check Plus - Dividend Bearing : You earn dividends using this account. By maintaining a minimum balance of $1,000.00 in your account each day of the month, you will not pay a monthly service charge.
- Money Market Checking : This investment account earns money market rates. It is completely separate from your regular checking and savings accounts. Once you make your initial deposit you can make deposits at any time. No more than six (6) preauthorized, automatic, telephone, Tele-Max, or E-Max transfers may be made from these accounts to another account of yours or to a third party in any calendar month. If you exceed these limitations, your accounts may be subject to a fee or be closed. For Money Marketing Checking accounts, the minimum withdrawal amount is $100 per transaction. Please note that debit cards are not allowed on Money Marketing accounts.
- Business Checking : We offer two business checking products to meet the demands of your business. Business Economy Checking is designed for sole proprietors, clubs/associations and nonprofit businesses. Limited Liability Companies (LLC), corporations, and partnerships will like the convenience of our Business Basic Checking. In either case, you can avoid the monthly service charges by maintaining the minimum balance requirements. Click here for information on our Business Checking Fees.
Convenience and Control
We know you lead a busy life. With that in mind we have designed several ways to make our checking accounts more convenient than ever before:
- VISA debit card: Access the funds in your checking and savings accounts from an ATM, or make purchases directly from your checking account wherever VISA is accepted. VISA Debit Card Application
- Around The Clock Access: Through the benefits of our E-Max Online Banking and Tele-Max Telephone Banking, you'll always have access to your funds. With a WECU® Debit Card you can withdraw $500 every 24 hours via ATM and make $1,500 worth of purchases every 24 hours at points of sale.
- Direct Deposit: Have government, retirement or payroll checks deposited directly into your checking account. Seniors who directly deposit their Social Security retirement payments into their regular checking account receive WECU® image design checks at no charge.
- Automatic Payments: Obtain the proper form from your insurance, utility or mortgage company and payments can be made directly from your account.
- Stop Payments: It is important to report lost or stolen checkbooks immediately. Stop payments on personal or cashier's checks cost $10.00 and may be placed over the phone or at any of our branches. Please refer to our rate and fee schedule for stop payments not due to lost or stolen checks.
- Opt-In: Click here to opt-in to Privilege Pay overdraft protection service for your debit card transactions.
- Ordering Checks: to order checks for the first time please contact us either in person at any branch or through our Call Center at 676-1168.
- To Reorder Checks: log into E-Max home banking, order through a teller or loan officer at any branch or through our Call Center at 676-1168.
- Additional security: we participate in Verified by Visa for all of our card programs. Verified by Visa is a free, simple-to-use service that confirms your identity with an extra password when you make an online transaction. For more information about Verified by Visa click the Verified by Visa logo to your right.
- Please note, there is a Foreign Transaction fee up to 1% of the US dollar amount of foreign transactions.
If your checking account becomes overdrawn, the following procedures are followed:
- If you have enough money in your savings account, our computer will automatically transfer funds in increments of $100.00 to cover the overdraft. You may choose which savings account you want the transfers to come from; these are considered unsigned transfers. A $2.00 service charge will be charged for this automatic transfer. Per Regulation D, you may make no more than six unsigned transfers from savings per month.
- Depending on your personal account management history you may qualify for Privilege Pay Overdraft Protection. We will notify you by mail if you qualify and inform you of the terms that will apply to you. If you don't have enough money in your savings account to cover the overdraft, the check or withdrawal made in person, by ATM, by EFT or other electronic means may be paid with WECU® funds. You agree to bring the account to a positive balance within 35 days. Your account will be charged a $16.00 per-item service charge whether the check is paid or returned. Please note that effective July 1, 2010, you must opt-in to receive Privilege Pay Overdraft Protection on debit card and ATM transactions. Please click here for more information.
- WECU® reserves the right to close an overdrawn account and charge a $25.00 fee. WECU® also reserves the right to be discretionary and its decisions shall be final. WECU® may pay, but is not obligated to pay items that overdraw your account per the Membership and Account Agreement.